Doctorado en Biología y Biotecnología Vegetal



Each academic year the PhD candidate must register for the annual review as part of the administrative process to form a contract between the PhD student and the university.

Here is a video to show you how to self-register:

(Video in Catalan, working on translation)

First year Registration

Registration in the first year should be done at the Help Centre on the 3rd floor of the School for Doctoral Studies, once the decision is made and no longer than one month after the decision is made. For personal attention at our offices it is necessary to make an appointment first.

second year+ registration

If you are a student of second or third year, you can register yourself here:


When the PhD applicant is accepted onto a PhD program they must formalize the PhD review registration document in a period of not more than one month after being accepted.

Registration Documents

PhD applicants should bring the following obligatory documentation when registering at the School for Doctoral Studies

The documents may be presented in Catalan, Spanish or English. For documentation in French, Italian or Portuguese, you can send it to the Language Service at the UAB. The applicant is responsible for the getting the documents translated and paying for the service. For other languages you need to provide a translation in to Catalan by a sworn translator, any diplomatic or consular service of Spain abroad or the Spanish consular or diplomatic representation of the applicant’s national country.

To legalise the documentation that accredits the courses taken abroad, please check the 'Legalisation' section (in Spansih). Nevertheless, at the time of pre-admission or admission the doctoral student may present the non-legalised documentation although it must be legalised by the time the students register.
If the university courses were taken at a different Spanish university than UAB, the following should be submitted:
  • Attested photocopy or photocopy and original degree certificate (or equivalent)
  • Academic certificate or attested copy of degree studies (or equivalent).
  • Attested copy or photocopy and original of the certificate of postgraduate studies that justify the access route through which you are applying.
  • Attested copy or photocopy and original of the postgraduate qualification that justifies the access route through which you are applying.
  • Photocopy of DNI or passport.
If the university courses offering access to the PhD are not Spanish:
  • Attested photocopy (except for EU countries) of the degree certificate (or equivalent).
  • Academic certificate or attested copy (except for EU countries) of degree studies (or equivalent).
  • Attested photocopy (except for EU countries) of the Master’s certificate (or equivalent).
  • Academic certificate or attested copy (except for EU countries) of Master’s degree studies (or equivalent).
  • Photocopy of DNI, NIE or passport.


Registration fees are decided annually by the Catalan Government (Generalitat de Catalunya) in a Decree on public fees, which fixes the fees for the public universities in Catalonia within the limits established by the General Conference on University Policy. The Board of Trustees of the UAB may establish other fees that are not included in the Decree on public fees.

To pay the registration fee you need a Spanish or European bank account or bank card.

If you need information about the methods of payment, deadlines, etc. please see this information. If you choose to pay in three instalments you must register before 30 October.

Once you have registered if you do not pay the full fee a surcharge will be applied to subsequent registration fees. Please see information about non payment of fees.

If your fee is paid by a company or institution and you need an invoice you can request one by e-mail at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Please include your personal details and the details of the company or institution in this document.

If you are a grant holder or are eligible for exemptions or reductions of the fee (e.g. large family, registered disabled, etc.) please see this document.

When you register at the School for Doctoral Studies you will be asked fill in an application form for your UAB student card. You can collect your card one month after registering from the Information Point of the School for Doctoral Studies (Floor 0).

If your registration fee is being paid fully or partly by a cost center of the UAB you must bring accrediting documentation. For more information please contact the coordinator of your PhD program.

In exceptional cases (payment by cost centers, academic tutorage, grant holders that are not researchers of the UAB, etc.) you must make an appointment to register personally at the School for Doctoral Studies using the link on this website.

The registration fee includes:
  • Supervision, tuition and continual assessment of the PhD thesis
  • Administration of the academic transcript
  • Specific services and program organization
  • Insurance:
  • Standard student (under 28 years old)
  • Complementary insurance. This is a service offered by the UAB and includes in accident and travel insurance for all students registered at the UAB. If you want complementary insurance you must take it out at the time of registration. If you are considering taking part in an exchange program or a research period outside Spain you should take out themobility complementary insurance.
  • Fee for equivalence of foreign Master’s degree, where necessary: €XX.XX
  • Bridging course credits, where necessary. These credits must be taken and passed during the first year of the PhD program.

Student Card

The UAB student’s card offers identification for all members of the university community and access to the different services offered by the university. To obtain a card you need to take a passport-style, color photograph and fill in the corresponding form at the time of the initial registration as a student at the UAB. This card is valid until the program of studies is completed.
With the university identification number (NIU) that appears on the registration document and the card, plus your password, which you can establish on the UAB Intranet Service, you can access the UAB intranet or use the on-line office (check grades and academic transcript, access to the Online Campus, etc.)